You can view this job posting and apply online at https://southerncompany-professional.jobs/birmingham-al/survey-specialist/02CC4C8EFAA9438382DBDBD382EED29A/job/
This position will be filled with the Survey Specialist Family. This position is primarily responsible for (1) developing new techniques to improve the speed and quality of field survey data gathering by testing new equipment and software, and by developing methods to improve the performance of existing equipment; (2) adjustments and processing of field survey data; (3) coordination of G.P.S. data gathering and processing; (4) communication and coordination with field crews, private land owners, corporations and government agencies; (5) coordination with field survey personnel to ensure that finished maps reflect the intended results of the field survey; (6) research and document compilation for a variety of projects; (7) occasional field survey data gathering; (8) training field crews to ensure efficient use of data collection software and GPS equipment
Education and Experience
· Alabama Professional Land Surveyor’s License or ability to obtain license is required
· Extensive knowledge of survey calculations is required
· Experience in survey data collection and processing is highly preferred
· Experience in GPS data collection and processing is highly preferred
· Survey related CAD drafting is highly preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
· Knowledge of the operation, setup, care and use of surveying tools and equipment, including electronic equipment and accessories.
· Knowledge of surveying procedures for a variety of survey types
· Extensive knowledge of survey calculations
· Knowledge of field electronic data collection and processing
· Knowledge of proper GPS procedures, data acquisition and data processing
· Knowledgeable of Alabama’s “Standards of Practice” for surveying
· Knowledgeable of Alabama’s Public Land Survey System (U.S. System of Rectangular Surveys).
· Ability to research and understand land rights and legal documents
· Proficiency in Computer Aided Drafting
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office Products
· Possess and demonstrate problem solving (trouble shooting) skills
· Necessary skills to adapt to rapidly changing circumstances while working on multiple tasks/projects and ability to be productive, decisive and efficient in periods of short time constraints and resource limitations.
· Strong verbal, listening and written communication skills
· Strong teamwork skills.
· Strong customer service focus – sense of urgency.
· Working knowledge of applicable safety rules and regulations – Target Zero 24/7.
· Consistent demonstration of Our Values - Safety First, Unquestionable Trust, Superior Performance and Total Commitment
The position is located in Birmingham, AL. Relocation benefits are NOT available.
Alabama Power provides the valuable combination of competitive prices, reliable electricity supply and unparalleled service to 1.4 million homes, businesses and industries in the southern two-thirds of Alabama.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Alabama-Metro Birmingham/Eastern AL-Birmingham
Operating Company: Alabama Power Company
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
APC Corporate Headquarters - 600 North 18th Street (600BIRMINGHAM)
600 North 18th Street
Req ID: APC2005680