McGehee Engineering Corp.
Land Surveyor Position
450 19th Street, Jasper, Alabama 35501
Telephone: (205) 221-0686 Website: www.mcgehee.org
McGehee Engineering Corp. (MEC) is seeking to employ a person of high character and integrity to eventually be in responsible charge of the MEC land surveying department. Currently, MEC has 2 licensed professional land surveyors on staff that are approaching retirement age. MEC wishes to employ a person to be trained and assisted under the direct supervision of our two licensed professional land surveyors. Within the next 2 to 3 years, MEC wishes to have this person familiar with our company, our employees, our existing data base, our current software, the services that we provide and our clients and the industries that we serve. It is MEC’s ultimate goal to find a person who fits our company and is interested in making MEC and the Jasper area their permanent career and home. More importantly, MEC must have a person of high moral character, ethics and reputation, who will represent MEC in a manner that is above reproach both in the industries that we serve and the community in which we live.
• A professional land surveyor currently licensed by and in good standings with the Alabama Board of Licensure for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors (ABELS) for minimum of 3 years.
Required Skills for Position Success
• Numeracy and the ability to make mathematical calculations
• The ability to understand and interpret data
• Lateral and logical thinking
• Cutting-edge IT skills and confidence with new technology
• Problem solving and analysis
• Attention to detail
• Client management/Employee management/Customer service skills/People skills
• Verbal and written communication skills
• Organization and time management
• The ability to work independently and as part of a team
Typical Position Responsibilities
• The ability to properly and professionally manage people/employees in the direction of survey crews, daily assignment of jobs/tasks, project management, etc.
• The ability to properly and professionally deal with the public and potential and existing clients.
• The creation/construction of a comprehensive data base of all MEC section and quarter-quarter locations and closures, existing data points, surveys, etc.
• Undertaking surveys (land, property line, topographic, roadway, surface mine, underground mine) using a variety of specialist equipment and technology, such as robotics and 3D scanners
• Analyzing data using plans, maps, charts and software such as AutoCAD, Carlson and GIS (geographic information systems) programs
• Preparing survey drawings/plats
• Presenting data to clients and writing reports
• Advising about technical matters and whether construction plans are viable
• The position combines working in an office with working outdoors on sites. Occasionally, you’ll need to travel to sites and sometimes work away from home for a night or two.
To apply, please email your resume to or call:
McGehee Engineering Corp.
C W McGehee, P.E.